Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Re-revised reading schedule & note taking

Who knew Schools and Society would be so hard to get a hold of?! If it were another text, I would be tempted to just forget it, but this book is key to what we're trying to accomplish in the course. Since 1/3rd of the class still doesn't have it, we will change things around again. After talking with a few of you (whomever I ran into this morning), I have decided to change the schedule to the following:

January 15th Intro/Live text & blog training

Jan 22nd Tinkering Toward Utopia Prologue, 1, & 2

Jan 29th Tinkering Toward Utopia 3, 4, 5, and epilogue

February 5th Closing of the American Mind Pp. 19-81

February 12th Closing of the American Mind, Pp. 336-382

February 19th School and Society Chapters 1-3

February 26th School and Society Chapters 4 & 5

March 4th School and Society Chapters 6 & 7

March 11th Experience and Education Chapters 1-4

March 18th Spring Break

March 25th TBA

April 1st Experience and Education Chapters 5-8

April 8th The Ethics of Teaching Chapters 1-3

April 15th The Ethics of Teaching Chapters 4-5

April 22nd The Ethics of Teaching Chapters 6 & 7

May 3rd Final Exam Time 3:00

In regards to our note taking/math discussion last night, Rebecca was right. There are 13 class periods. We have 21 students + myself. I took notes on the first class, leaving 12 class periods, and there is one class TBD (what we do that day depends on a conference I am scheduled to attend). That leaves 11. Obviously, I am not that good at math, but last time I checked 21/2 is 10.5, which means that if we continue to pair up to take notes, 10 class periods will be covered by pairs of students and someone will have to take notes by themselves (or they can pair with me or another student who wishes to take notes again).

This long and ponderous explanation leads me to . . . each student is required to take notes for only one class, but can take notes for two classes if they wish. If anyone has any questions, post them here or email me privately.

No comments: