Friday, May 2, 2008

MySpace Villain

I was watching the news last night and I saw two stories on there about children getting lured by child molesters through their MySpace account. My husband and I were astonished at how naïve these kids were to leave on a plane or with the stranger to be sexually molested by them. Fortunately both of the offenders were caught but I still feel like my future children, in my classroom or in my home, won’t be safe with the internet. After our discussion in class that one night I tried to go home and delete my MySpace account. Unfortunately I have an old email address on my profile and they won’t let me delete my account without confirming it through my email account. I was frustrated. I think that it’s funny that you can create an account so easily but it is so hard to get rid of it. Plus you could create a false identity on MySpace and no one would know. Talk about and easy way for sex offenders to get connected!!! Here is the link to the story…but what also is interesting is that there are steps that you can take to make your kids safer online.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/girl-brown-police-2031742-fullerton-florida

No comments: