Friday, March 7, 2008

Thoughts on Functionalism and Conflict Theory

After class on Tuesday, I found myself thinking about the differences between workers and owners as the Conflict Theorist would see it and how this relates to my own life.

Back when we discussed functionalism, we learned how the functionalist believes that schools “sort” students according to achievement and ability. Those that achieve more in school attain better and higher paying jobs according to this viewpoint. My life is a contradiction to the functionalist viewpoint. I was always a ‘pleaser’ growing up. I stayed out of trouble, brought home straight A’s, and did well in college. However, I have never had a job that would enable me to support myself, let alone a family. I have always had to rely on the second income of my spouse and would be in a sticky position without it. This has always been a discouragement to me, especially since I have rarely held a job that truly gave me ‘fulfillment’. Despite my lack of income, I have always felt the need to work myself as hard as I can at whatever my work is. I was brought up not to ask for things as money was always tight. However, this makes it extremely difficult to ask for anything from an employer, such as a raise. Raises always feel like a gift, not something deserved (no matter how hard it was worked for!)

Tuesday’s discussion helped me to see that I am definitely a Conflict Theorist’s idea of a worker walking around with a false consciousness. As workers, we strut around happy that we are barely able to make ends meet. Every now and then we get a raise or make a big purchase and we think, “Wow, owner-hood here I come!” I find this sad, humorous, and enlightening all at once. As teachers we will never be monetarily rich, but hopefully we will find richness in our experiences and fulfillment of our jobs.

2 comments:

NakiaPope said...

Excellent post -- introspective and thoughtful

joeeichel said...

I'm with you on that Kristen. Functionalism will have us believe that our ability and academic achievement will take us anywhere. I have found that not to be true because functionalism does not take into account that getting a good, high-paying successful job opportunity depends on factors other than academic achievement and ability. Factors include: who you know, being in the right place at the right time, etc. Then when no opportunities come along and no doors to good jobs open, we find ourselves in conflict wondering why our academic achievement and ability is not enough. So functionalism to me is unrealistic to a large extent.