Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rafe Esquith Links:

All-
I know Dr. Pope will post more about Esquith's book, Teaching Like Your Hair's On Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56,but I had heard of this book before on NPR. Below are links to an article/book excerpt and a 7 minute interview. As we said at the end of class, it's tough trying to find your place as a teacher/artist/mediator with all of the state/federal mandates that can, at times, stymie creative approaches.

As a former 5th grade humanities teacher, I concur with Esquith's teaching methodologies - inspire your students by exposing them to a varied and advanced curriculum that challenges them and you as a teacher. And going back to Dewey, I don't think reflective practices are considered enough by teachers with regard to their teaching and ways to refine their practices. On my 5th grade team, my mentor would always tell me, "Why re-invent the wheel, Lauren?" Well, sometimes we need to break out of old methods that simply aren't working. Teaching is hard work and while the courses we are taking and the materials we are learning are so beneficial, there's nothing like your first week/month/year in the classroom. I have many, many stories! Sadly, from some of my experiences, teachers are often burned out after 5-10 years in the profession. It's refreshing to see folks like Esquith who have such a sustained passion and love of teaching. I'd encourage you to listen.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6939776

Interview: http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=6939776&m=6939842


Lauren

2 comments:

Amy LaFontaine said...

Lauren, thank you so much for posting this link and finding articles related to topics discussed in class. I think it is so beneficial to have someone like you in our program, you bring a lot of insight to many things those of us who have never been in a classroom (more than subbing) have not experienced.

Please continue to share your knowledge especially on topics related to Dewey for those of us (me!) who are always trying to relate it to the classroom and ways his teachings can be practical in today's schools.

NakiaPope said...

Awesome! Thanks, Lauren.