Friday, February 26, 2010

Democracy Dewey's Way

http://mises.org/etexts/classical.pdf

I found this article about democracy. I know that my week is not until April, but I thought this might help some of us understand where Dewey is coming from and where his thoughts on democracy find their home. Even if you just read the first page, you will know Dewey a little better. Yes, he is an optimist and that is why I like him. The original plan for American Democracy has failed to live up to the originators expectations and we are left to pick up the pieces and wonder why our legal, social, and education systems are failing. Think about your active part in the community. Think about your active part in our democracy. Are you taking your job of being "the people" seriously or are you complacent like most of middle class America? I will be honest. I cry every time I hear our National Anthem play. Heck, I am tearing up right now thinking about it. Laugh, its okay. I laugh at myself too. But we do live in a country that is famous for its radical thoughts and actions in the past centuries. However, we have not been radical as a people, for a very long time. Dewey would be outraged and writing every day about the state of affairs of our nation. I will hop off of my soap box for today. Thanks for laughing with me.... Billie

1 comment:

NakiaPope said...

Thanks for the article, but I'm not sure Dewey would agree with some of this. This seems to be a pretty strong argument for classical, small-state liberalism. Dewey's vision of democracy is less individualistic, less classically capitalist, and more focused on community.