Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yes, Another Video

I know there have been a lot of videos posted recently, but i just wanted to inform yall of this. I know a group did their presentation on how much access you can recieve on students. And this little video talks about how a student in CMS was contacted by a stranger in his school. The person just showed up with a picture, and was given access to the student. Something is wrong with that!

Supposedly, the rest of the story was on the news tonight at 6pm. I was unable to watch it because we were in class, but did anyone hear about this? Do you know any details!? I just want to know exactly how did some stranger just walk into a school, and recieve all of this access. I know, personally, that would not be ok with me as a teacher or just in general. I would have major issues with some stranger coming in my classroom.

Here is the link. let me know your thoughts!

3 comments:

Hayley said...

I heard about that story too, but I dont know any more than you know. I do know the Mom was really upset. That is terrible!

Amy LaFontaine said...

I watched that news story last night and it seemed that the person had taken a photo at a bus stop and went into the school looking for the child. When I go into any schools locally I have to give my name, get a visitors pass and I know some schools even go to the extent of showing a license.

It's a troubling world we live in where children aren't even safe in their own schools. I do believe that there is proper procedures put in place to not allow just anyone to pick up the students from school.

My family even took it a step further and said if a stranger ever claiming to be someone that knows our parents comes to get us they have to know our family "secret word" in order for us to trust them and go with them home from a sporting event or such...That's something that families can start doing to protect their children outside of the schools.

Kelsey D said...

I think that is a very cute idea Amy!

Another thing is that, I realize schools are big, but for the most part...the same students get picked up by the same ppl everyday, or go on the same bus everyday. If something is out of the ordinary, I think it is our responsibility as teachers to ask questions no matter what. If you end up hurting that persons feelings, WHO CARES?! As long as you know that the student went home or to a safe environment.

This is just a very scary situation!