Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Paying sports stars

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080219

To start out, I am a huge sports fan. I just wanted to post a quick article I found on ESPN.com earlier today. It is in response to the class discussion of how overpaid professional sports players are and the media attention that surrounds them. I do believe that on the whole, even though these men are excellent at what they do, I think they are paid too much. But I also know that I would be swayed differently if my boyfriend/husband, uncle, cousin, brother, father (you get the picture) were in these high money situations. The media focuses on the bad and too little is focused on the good. This article focuses on the great.

Being from New Orleans, I know bad media attention, a bad education system, a corrupt political system.... you name the bad and I can give you ten people that can respond with twenty of the good about that city. To digress from an educational topic for this blog, I wanted everyone to see what good the NBA All-Stars did this past weekend. More positive press needs to be seen, but surprisingly, the "warm-fuzzies" don't sell papers. Bill Simmons reflects on this in the article as well when he states that sports on the whole sometimes leave you with a less that desirable taste and that many "stars" of the league are/were overpaid.

I just wanted everyone to see what good these guys are doing. They aren't just making millions and sitting on their laurels. They are in the community, doing great things for schools and families. I would love to be able to do what they have done, and if I had their monies, I hope I'd be as generous as they were this past weekend as well.

1 comment:

NakiaPope said...

I enjoyed the article (I follow The Sports Guy pretty closely)and have an affinity for New Orleans (my family lived there when I was very small and I have visited a lot), but I am still struggling with how the salary and prestige of professional athletes fits into functionalism. These guys do good work, no doubt, but what about their social role justifies the money (from a functionalist perspective).

Good post.