Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Social Science

After today's reading assignment, I had some personal memories brought forward because my bachelor's degree is in Sociology with a focus in Women's Studies.  The coverage in the section about the humanities and social sciences was personal to me because I studied all of them.  The attempt to make social science more like the natural sciences is fraught with difficulties because of the constantly changing nature of the Human psyche.  The social sciences, in my experiences, have been softened and edited to fit the newer more politically correct persona of the university. Taking the history of sexism and racism out of the picture.  These harsh facts are a part of our history, and must be dealt with in a reasonable fashion.  These ills are part of our history they are in our past we must be able to move on and face our past objectively.  It is difficult to wipe the slate clean and ignore these facts, these things must be looked at because we have moved past them and have grown as people.  I feel that we must learn about the evils and ills in society so that we never repeat these atrocities.  I hope that my reaction was clear and succinct.  

1 comment:

NakiaPope said...

Do you agree with Bloom, then that the humanities have marginalized themselves with their concern for "openness" that occasionally emerges as political correctness? Or are you saying that a concern for sexism and racism is an important part of the development of the social sciences and humanities that Bloom neglects? Or is there another point I am missing?

Perhaps you can edit to clarify a bit.