Thursday, February 26, 2009

Class Reaction

     Hannah and Susan's presentation last night caught my attention big time. We've heard about different types of child abuse throughout the week, and their presentation was a great wrap up and eye opener. I grew up in Rock Hill and never thought I'd have many children in my classroom who were being abused or neglected, but it turns out I probably will. I'm glad they gave this presentation. Child abuse is hard to hear about and difficult to understand, but if we never learn about it we won't know how to handle the situation when we face it in the classroom.

     I know now that it's required by law to report any suspicion of abuse to DSS and that it's better to over report than underreport, but I still feel worried about upsetting parents. I know it's extremely important to report it, but I can see where some teachers would feel worried for their safety or worried that the school wouldn't back them up if parents came in to the schools. I'm also worried that as a teacher of small children, I will let myself get emotionally involved.

     My sister teaches at Bluffton High School near Hilton Head and her assistant principal (and close friend) has been on the news the past couple days. The assistant principal was approached by a student, who claimed his father was abusing him. She wanted to get him out of his dads home and in a home with his mother, who lives in another state. The student told her his dad was running a crack house, and the student was living in it. As of now, everyone believes the father is innocent.  Unfortunately the principal made a bad judgement call... she didn't report the possible abuse to DSS and she helped get the student to his mom. She has been charged with kidnapping and assisting a "run away" even though she had the students best interest at heart. She will more than likely lose her license and never be allowed to work in education again.

This just goes to show that even though we care about our students and want the best for them, we must follow the law and report the incident. The assistant principal feared for her students life and placed her career on the line to help him.

1 comment:

susan said...

I agree with Mayanne. I would have never guessed that so much child abuse or neglect was around us. I found myself shocked when I began working for DSS at how differently people live and the types of places they live. I went home many nights crying because I felt sorry for children. Also, as a parent, I would do anything to protect my children. I found myself asking how could parents do things to harm their own child or children? As future teachers, we do have to know when not to over step our boundaries.