Monday, February 9, 2009

Reaction to Whom Must We Treat Equallfy for Educ.

After reading the analysis of Ms. Higgins possiblities to determining how to divide her time and attention in a waythat allows for equal educational opportunity, I decided on which method I used and questioned the method proposed. As a director of choirs for elementary aged children I used the Utlitaranism approach. The method of using time and attention as the criteria for equality was something I have never examined. The goal was always the performance of a quality piece of music. This is a goal that I am passionate about. I have never had any trouble motivating my students to want this as a great prize. I wonder if Ms. Higgins had used the achievment of the goal, academic standards, as the prize if time and attention would just fall into place.

I use the ulitarianism approach. Each individual is valued as an important member of our team. The goal is that the group provides an outstand performance. I do award special parts based on an audition and a complete schedule of work. In that since, the prize parts are available to all, but performance is the predictor of soloes or special parts. In that sense I do act as a judge. Most of the time I am more of a coach than a judge. In over ten years of working with children, I know that there are always a few gifted children, a few that are muscially behind and the majority on an average level. I prepare my lessons to the average. The gifted ones naturally get the more difficult assignments. Those gifted ones tend to motivate themselves once they get excited about the performance. As far as time and attention, they usually get less. My experience is that those at the upper end are often self motivated and require less. I f my lesson is prepared well the majority of the children get the same amount of attention and learn most of the activity in class. The musically behind children do require extra work. I often work with parent volunteers and the other students will stop and provide attention to the students that need to catch up. There is strong feelings of teamwork among the choirs.

I believe that time and attention is not a good measure of equality. Perhaps the academic standard should be the measure as the performance is for my choirs. Equality in education should have as its goal making sure that all children in a grade actually have mastered the skill. No teacher can compensate for a child who genetically has less ability or make up for a substandard home life. The educator can instill a sense of purpose in the classroom and respect for each student as an individual. As a result, the time and attention will regulate itself naturally. All students have a chance and the care of the group helping each individually to reach a goal.

No comments: