Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Aristotle Response

I read the article Liberal v. Mechanical Education with great interest because I graduated from a liberal arts college. But what really stood out to me in this article was Aristotle's statement that "Men ought not to labour at the same time with their minds and with their bodies; for the two kinds of labour are opposed to one another; the labour of the body impedes the mind, and the labour of the mind the body." I am struggling to determine what Aristotle means. Is he saying that a student, male or female, cannot and should not aspire to be an athlete and an accomplished student? I am sure many of us know young men and women who are successful academically as well as athletically. I certainly know of several in the Rock Hill community.

One young man curre
ntly holds a South Carolina state record for the most extra points in football and was recognized by the Herald for this achievement. He has also received the Harvard Book Award and is being pursued by Harvard as prospective student. His achievements, and those of many others, certainly disprove Aristotle's view that "the two kinds of labour are opposed to one another."

I personally believe that colleges and universities (as well as future employers) look for well rounded individuals who are accomplished in a variety of areas not just athletics and academics. Having a liberal arts background certainly influences my belief that individuals who are exposed to a variety of life experiencesand take advantage of those experiences are more productive citizens.

Is Aristotle limiting individuals by his statement? Is he requiring a choice to be made? Am I taking his statement out of context?

No comments: