Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The readings in The Ethics of Teaching really made me think about what is right or wrong. Each scenario really made me think about how I would handle these situations as a teacher.

The situation between Cynthia and Henry made me see how both the "consequentialist" and "nonconsequentialist" views come into play with a situation. If Cynthia was to pass Henry knowing that he cheated, what would this teach him? Would he plagiarize again since he did not have to suffer any consequences? Cynthia mentioned this may be his only chance at being something, but what would he really be learning if she pretended he did not do anything wrong? The other side of this is what if Cynthia gives Henry a F and he has to drop out of college? Where would he go? I would not think that any teacher would want to see a student hit rock bottom. I can't answer which way I would go in this case, because I would have to really know a little more about Henry and his situation, however it does make me look at both options with questions.

The situation between Mr. Fuse and Alex. I clearly disagree with any teacher punishing the entire class for what one or several other students have done. I have seen this done in an elementary classroom. What are you telling the well behaved children when you punish them for something they did not do? They are suffering the same consequences as the children who mis-behaved are. Is this going to cause the well behaved children to begin acting out?

I found these readings to be interesting. I know as a teacher I will be faced with having to make difficult decisions. I also see where personal ideas and feelings can get in the way of what is right or wrong. My goal as a teacher is to be able to make the best decision for everyone involved.
Susan Baker

No comments: