Thursday, January 29, 2009

S&S Chapters 1-4: Reaction

In class last Tuesday we were discussing how to be ethical but also be just. The topic of what to do when you are faced with a situation and do you base it on the consequences of what may happen or you do never take into consideration the certain case. I know I was very adament in my choice to fail the basketball player who got help on his paper, but I also know that there are times when you have to a little more indiviual when dealing with situations. I believe that in this case, the student deserved to fail, because he had done something he knew he should not have and therefore should face the consequences. Yes, he will probably be kicked off the team and that would ruin the whole season, but he should want to focus on his game as much as his school work. He is in school, and that means he's there to get an education, not just play ball. I have seen people in this situation before and yes, they got kicked off their team, but life moved forward, it did not stop because this one player could not play anymore. Just because someone is a good kid or contributes in other ways, they still know the rules and must take responsibility for their actions.

Having said that, I have also seen cases where teachers will let students try again. I have been in this place before. I submitted a project that I thought was great, but I just did not understand it fully, and the teacher gave me another chance. In cases like this or ones where the student has gone through personal struggles, I think they should be given one more chance. Only one more chance though, and then they will be stuck with whatever grade they are given.

I know that I am going to have more respect for a teacher who sticks to the same rules for everyone and doesn't pick favorites, like the star of the basketball team.

1 comment:

Liz M said...

In class on Tuesday I was very quick to say that I would fail the basketball player. I agree that if the rules are clearly laid out, and then clearly broken there should be a consequence. The more I thought about it, the more conflicted I became on the situation. You hate to see someone flunk a class, get kicked off the team, lose their scholarship and possibly have to drop out of school all together.
I agree that in some cases people should be given another chance to prove themselves. What if basketball boy was at grueling practices every day for two weeks before exams, training for the upcoming tournament? I understand that is not an excuse to cheat, but maybe he deserves a chance to rewrite the paper. Possibly the professor could assign him an incomplete, have a serious discussion with him on the matter, and give him a week to write another paper.
As I considered these issues Tuesday night, I was still unsure of a decision either way. Before I went to sleep I turned on the TV and caught the last 15 minutes of King of the Hill. Peggy was substituting for the high school geometry class and the star football player was failing, and was going to be kicked off the team. Coaches and his mother alike were creating lies in order to keep him on the team. Peggy thought he should be kicked off, but in the end she decided to try and teach him and give him another chance. Although she taught him a lesson on propane, not geometry, everyone was happy, the boy did learn something and the coaches got their star player.
So my point is that I think giving the basketball boy an INC and allowing him a second chance to write his paper is what I would do. It is very hard to try and take into consideration so many different factors. I do feel strongly against cheating, but I also hate for anyone to lose their scholarship and have to drop out of college.