Friday, January 23, 2009

Ethics Response

Chapter 1, What This Book is About, in The Ethics of Teaching has really made me think about ethics and what I would do in certain situations such as the first case study. It is important to resist knee-jerk reactions – the student plagiarized; ergo he fails the class. Ethics are not black and white, and as the authors state ethics and decision making are about more than following the rules. However, by not following the rules, do we compromise our integrity or the integrity of the institution?

Although the example in the first case study is an extreme example with serious consequences, it helps me realize that as a teacher I will come across situations where I will face the dilemma of doing what is in the best interest of a student and following the rules or guidelines of an institution. I believe that most of us are a combination of consequentialists and nonconsequentialists, and neither type of ethical-thinking fits all situations or all individuals. I have to decide if some ethical ideals I hold are not actual personal values. The authors pose the question “Isn’t it wrong for one person to try to impose his or her values on someone else?”

I found the principle of benefit maximization to be very intriguing. If decisions should result in the most good for the greatest number of people, then ethical-decision making should not be taken lightly. In the first case study the teacher would need to consider herself, all the other teachers, the student, his family, school administrators, classmates, and other people that we cannot begin to realize will be affected. Our actions have far-reaching ramifications which will make our ethical decisions so important. I feel this is an overwhelming reality.

No comments: