Friday, January 23, 2009

Class Reaction The Cave and Diets

The Cave allegory serves as a way to stress the importance of experience in education. I often have a battle with fellow dietitians who seem to fair on the side that you do not have to have life experience to be an educator. As a formerly obese person who is a ironman RD that specializes in weight management and sports nutrition I always have the thought and belief that I am a more beneficial educator with my patient population than those who do not have the same life experience. I was chained and released by my free will. I was "made fun of" and harassed by roommates who could not understand why mac and cheese was not my favorite food anymore and I consistently go back into the "cave" and reemerge into the light when I slide on my wellness goals. But sometimes, going back into the cave and attempting to educate those about the true reality of healthy living I reemerge from the cave and see new reality. I not only see my struggles but their struggles and next time I enter the cave to educate I have more fuel to help the others unchain their self from ignorance.

On a lighter note I have identified the false prophets in my arena of expertise. They are Dr.Atkins, The Grapefruit Diet, the Ice Cream Diet, and the colon cleanser/fasting cults. Those false prophets DISTRACT from reality and the brightness of the light outside the cave.

No comments: