Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thoughts on Weds. 1/21/2009 discussion.

I just wanted to leave a thought about our discussion(s) from last night.

Plato used the allegory of the cave and as I thought about it it sort of applies to myself and possibly some of you. In my own experience I have arrived at returning to school because I have been 'out of the cave' and witnessed life. I got my B.A. have been out in the working world as a supervisor at a trucking company, EMT, and now as a teaching assistant.

Due to my previous poor performance in college and working jobs that were not necessarily where I wanted to be in life I have come to finally realize the power of a valuing ones education.

As a perspective early childhood educator (sort of a return to the cave) part of my mission is to instill in my students not only an ability to learn, but a desire to learn and be successful.

Additionally, there was discussion of the Radical and how they point out flaws in the system, but seemingly don't offer solutions. So, how are we supposed to change society from the idea of needing riches to the idea of being happy. I think to change this type of thinking it has to start primarily at home. However, it can be aided through the efforts of us as individual teachers. Along with getting children to value education and desire to succeed in it we can also discuss with them the idea of humility. Countless times I have witnessed teachers give an assignment and pair up or group children to work together. Almost 75% of the time the work turns into a competition. Who can finish first, who can get the most correct, etc. If we can in addition to teaching get children to be happy with completing a task rather than completing it first or best I think we will have taken a step in the right (Radical) direction.

No comments: