Monday, January 26, 2009

Chapter 1 Ethics Response

When faced with the question of whether we will take the direction of practicing the Consequentialist Theory or Nonconsequentialist Theory as a teacher involves many different aspects. As a teacher, you always want to see your students succeed to their maximum potential. In the scenario involving Cynthia Allen and the basketball player, Henry, it seems that the teacher is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Since Henry clearly plagiarized in his paper, Cynthia has an obligation with the institution to report his plagiarism. But if she reports him, she knows the consequences Henry will have to face, which may potentially ruin any of his chances of a successful future.

As a future teacher, I know I will be faced with situations where I will have to decide on whether I should uphold my obligation to an institution or consider the harmful consequences that will effect a student and do what is best for them. Although both of these theories make good points, I feel that I will have a sense of remorse no matter which way I decide to go. If I decide to uphold my obligation to an institution, then I have been honest with myself and my place of work; but I have also taken away the one chance the student had to really make something of his/her life. I feel like in each case there is something to be gained and lost on both ends.

It can be confusing about what is ethical. Sometimes, it comes down to personal opinion. As the author states, "Doesn't it really just come down to what one believes is right or wrong? Isn't it wrong for one person to try to impose his or her values on someone else?" Personally, I believe deciding on what is ethical comes down to the Golden Rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated. As educators, we will have to really think about our ethical decisions we will be faced with. Decisions we make will effect many others around us, which is why it is important that we thoroughly think about our decisions before we hastily make them. When Ms. Jones lied to Johnnie's father, it would potentially effect many people: Johnny, his father, his classmates, their parents, and the school.

I can see why it's hard to strictly say you are a Consequentialist or a Nonconsequentialist, for it depends on the situation. The principle of benefit maximization initially seems the best possible way to go about things. But once again, the author states that sometimes this can be turned around for the negative. Depending on your view of what is morally or ethically correct/acceptable depends on the individual. I have used the benefit maximization principle in my classroom of 2-year-olds. When making any decision, whether it be disciplinary or event planning, I initially think of what is best for my class as a whole? In a way, this principle may be a case of trial and error. What I initially think will benefit my class may end up not being the case.

No comments: