Sunday, March 1, 2009

Are Teachers Professionals

Last Wednesday evening we touched up our belief as to whether or not we thought teachers were professionals. I want to write this blog prior to reading Article 20 in Curren because reading it may sway my initial thought. It is my belief that teachers are professionals, however, I understand that there are many opposing views on the subject. I left class with the feeling that the majority of the class was on my side regarding this subject. I decided to administer a small, unscientific, random survey at the office. The overwhelming majority of those I asked agreed with me. However, this could be a very biased pole. There are several people at the office that are married to teachers or have a teacher in their direct family. Therefore, they have hands-on knowledge of the amount of work and professionalism that is required to teach.

Upon returning home from class Wednesday night, I asked my husband his thoughts. Prior to him answering I did tell him that one argument is that teaching is a calling and, therefore, not looked upon as a profession. He brought up the point that medical doctors, lawyers, nurses and ministers are answering callings and are certainly considered professionals. Good point! If I look at the question through the eyes of a successful business woman, I might skew my view to feel that teachers don’t work 12 months per year as I do, etc. Therefore, they can't be professionals However, if I look at the question through the eyes of a parent concerned about my child’s education, I might skew my view to feel that teachers better be professionals to insure a proper education for my children. I can recall this issue being talked about 20 years ago in a class I once took, and I’m revisiting it again today. Bottom-line it might be an issue that will never concretely be resolved.

No comments: