Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Students and Teachers with Disabilities

Class Reaction: 3/3
Last night when we were learning about students with disabilities, something struck me. When I was in 1st grade, the teacher I had, had been in an accident earlier in her life and it had caused her to have to learn sign language. Everyday in class, she would mark out a certain amount of time to give us a lesson in sign language. I can't really remember a whole lot, except I know the full alphabet and one song. I remember thinking how cool it was that she taught us because you never know if you might need those skills later in life. It also gave our class a little more understanding of people with disabilities and made us respect them more. I'm sure as 1st graders, we didn't know that then, but looking back, I know it now. I think that if more teachers were like this and introduced all students to a world outside of their own then students would be more well rounded and have a better overall respect for others who are not as fortunate as them. My sister also knows some sign language and we still often use it in public or in quiet situations when we want to communicate but cannot speak. I think that students with disabilities will feel more welcome into classrooms if perhaps the other students knew more about them and could communicate with them. I think in the end it would make everyone that much of a better person.

No comments: