Thursday, March 12, 2009

Article on Teachers as Professionals

When I logged on to The Huffington Post today, I saw this article regarding Teachers as Professionals and thought it was rather timely. The link below will take you to the article. Sharpton and Klein also discuss how the best teachers should be teaching in the lower performing schools. I found this to be relevant based on the Corridor of Shame video we watched in Dr. Ferguson’s class tonight. This is the proverbial two birds with one stone article. The last paragraph mentions teacher unions in passing. Having been in the south for over 20 years, I had actually forgotten about teacher unions, which is amazing since I grew up in Chicago which is a hotbed of union activity. Are unions actually an obstacle to having teachers recognized as professionals? Unions are usually associated with skilled trade groups such as autoworkers, steelworkers, printers, etc. Does the fact that teachers have a union, make teachers skilled workers rather than professionals? We touched on teachers being skilled in class a bit last night. I know that unions are not the focus of the article, but I think it is food for thought.

www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-al-sharpton-and-joel-klein/teacher-rx-the-perfect-st_b_174516.html

No comments: