Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Intangibles

I am unclear about whether or not it is appropriate to officially classify teachers as professionals. While, I certainly believe that teachers are professionals, it does not seem that teaching meets all of the standards that are required to be deemed a profession. This is not to say, however, that many teachers are not intelligent, thoughtful, and talented individuals.

In terms of evaluating teachers, I do believe that it is more valid to use comparative data than it is to solely use standardized test scores. However, I think there is another component to this debate that must be considered, the intangibles. So often what makes a teacher great are the things that we can't measure, or even articulate very well. When I think about the teachers that I loved the most, I do not think about how they dressed or how they wore their hair. I do not think about if they met every predetermined standard, or how strictly they followed a professional code. Instead I Think about the teachers that had the innate ability to express genuine care and concern for me. The teachers that really new how to connect with their young students. I firmly believe that children have a very keen sense for the genuine nature of adults.

I do not think that we should totally dismiss they notion that "you either have it or you don't," there may just be some substance to that thinking.

No comments: