Friday, March 20, 2009

Teachers As Professionals

After class last week I had some time to think about the chapter in our book Philosphy of Education. Chaptetr 20 talks about teaching as a profession. Kenneth Strike stated that "if we believe that teaching is a profession, we will act differently" I couldnt agree with him more. I dont feel as if teachers are looked upon as professionals. However, I dont feel as if some teachers portray themselves as professionals. It was brought up in class about they way some teachers dress. How can a parent take a teacher seriously if they show up to "work" dressed in an unprofessional manner. Yes I do realize that we are going to be teaching early elementary students but that doesnt mean we can show up in our lazy sunday clothes nor do we have to show up to work in our best suit. I personally believe that the way one dresses shows their sucess. I also believe that in more recent years teachers are given a bad name. More and more teachers are portrayed on TV for going to jail for sleeping with students, being involved in a drug bust, etc. Where are the nightly news cast talking about Teacher of the Year, or all the great things we do for children? I personally want to be viewed as a professional. I am going to be working with children and providing them the best education possible. Who wouldnt want to be respected for that?? I feel it is an important role in society to be considered a professional and that in more recent times we have been portrayed as much less.

2 comments:

Lindsay Dillon said...

I agree. I feel that if teachers want to have the respect as a "professional" (which I believe we all do) we should be able to present ourselves in a respectable manner. This is not to say that we have to wear a business suit and high heels everyday. But, also we should not be dressed in pants with holes in them and oversized shirts. Imagine if the head of the school district was visiting your school? Think about how you would want to be dressed in that situation.

Will Chappell said...

It is also not just a matter of the public viewing us as professionals but also the students. Students need to know who the authority figures are and they will respect us that much more if we dress and act the part.