Thursday, April 23, 2009

Class Reaction - 4/22

     Last night's discussion on Maxine Greene's The Artistic-Aesthetic Curriculum was very interesting. I started out my undergrad studies at Winthrop as an Art History major before changing it to English... and then again to Mass Communication. Many of my classes overlapped in these majors because all three required students to take a variety of arts and humanities courses. After taking those classes, I gained a deeper appreciation for the arts and learned the value of using the arts in the classroom. I think if a teacher is creative enough, he or she can incorporate art into almost any school subject. Like Dr. Pope was saying last night, geometry could be taught using paintings of geometric shapes. I also like the idea Rebekah gave of incorporating pop culture into the classroom. Our students will be able to relate to that and make connections with the subjects we are trying to teach. I know it will take extra work and creativity, but I think the benefits of incorporating the arts into our classrooms will make it worthwhile.

2 comments:

Hannah Hughes said...

I was also a Communications major and I remember always having to be artistic in my Journalism classes. I think as a future early childhood teacher, incorporating art will be a great way to introducing new topics to the students. Not only will the children learn new things, but they will also be able to engage in their creative side and have fun while doing it! Who said learning can't be fun, right?!

Anna Richards said...

I agree with Maryanne and Hannah. I believe that using the arts in the classroom will enable the children to make the connection from their school work to real life. It will also maintain their interests (hopefully!)