Friday, April 24, 2009

Class Reaction

The topic of the last class was, of course, right down my ally but I thought some interesting views were discussed concerning the curriculum of art in public schools. Yes not every student is going to appreciate the same the involvement of art in their own education, however I think regardless of the level of interest art, meaning all of the arts, has a place and purpose for each student. Earlier in the semester we discussed Aristotle's idea and theory of Leisure from work for the purpose of cultivating what makes us human. Our brains and body's need leisure regularly I believe that. As a pianist I find that I must step away from the piano sometimes and or force myself to take a break, why? Because I am engaged in a lot of work however the work is not physical so much but mental. After 4 hrs at the piano reading little black dots the page your I find it very hard sometimes the transition back to being talkative and not thinking about the music, so I must take breaks. This is very similar to the way I see arts in public schools used. It serves as a mental break from core subjects for some however still keeping the students involved in a learning atmosphere depending on their interest level. Art also helps promote individual student growth, which is a critical stage in young adolescence.
Taking a turn to discuss what T&C wrapped up in their book, reform is going to happen but who is the driving force behind the reform is what the issue is. Classroom practices and strategies need to better influence policy talk. The words cautious optimism was brought up again as something we need to have instead of a radical approach to a quick utopia in public schools. T&C were mostly pointing out that change needs to start from the inside out and that more teachers and or people on the implementation level need to be more involved in the policy talks and decisions.

No comments: