Monday, April 27, 2009

Other: Technology Solves the Problem

In remembrance of our technology course and in conjunction with Tyack and Cuban on technology, I present an article I came across while visiting CNN’s website. The article entitled “Laptops help sick kids stay connected to school, friends” discusses how technology can be used to benefit students who suffer from illnesses that result in several missed days from school. As Dr. Jones stated in our technology course, technology should be used to solve a problem. In Ahmed’s case, and other children who suffer from similar illnesses, technology allows him to remain involved with his class in a manner conducive to his needs. He is able to remain in contact with his peers, fostering social development as well as continue learning, fostering his cognitive development.

Article Link:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/27/hm.sick.kids.satellite.connection/index.html

1 comment:

Elizabeth Schrum said...

This is a wonderful use of technology and I would say that it definately solves a problem by using laptops to help sick children stay connected with their class and keep up with their school work. My step son is in a school that has the One Laptop per child program and he brings his computer on the weekends when he comes. I can see that his generation would be completely lost without this type of technology and way of staying connected. I must admit that although my own public school education did introduce me to computers, I must use one every day in my current line of work. I had to teach myself much of what I know. Also, I believe that I would also be lost without Facebook. I have been able to connect with people that I haven't seen in years. I thinnk its amazing that one thing that this generation may never have to give up is their high school friends. By providing children with their own computer, they will not only learn to use technology, they will be able to stay connected with their classrooms even if they are not able to be there physically.