Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Class Review

Most of the questions that we discussed in class were well informing about important topics, I thought. It seems that Tyack and Cuban are not at all ruling out technology as tools, as long as they don't drastically change the grammar of school as mentioned earlier in the Policy Cycle Chapter. Drastic changes are not uniformly assimilated into practice. Overall, the book is interesting because it shows the picture of how public school was formed and the changes and trends that public schools have been through hitherto. I can honestly say that my level of respect for teachers has risen since I've thought about the history involved and duty it undertakes in a democracy. I had always heard of other choice schools but didn't fully understand them. I find it great that the virtual schools offer types of credit recovery programs, and, wow, I didn't know how expensive it's getting. I think being employed by the state or government should be one of the most respected careers for financial reasons, moderately speaking, and beneficial reasons. Competition begins to happen when people begin seeing different and perhaps better ways for doing something. I think school choice is a great idea for the science and further development of education. It can help to serve the state run school as a kind of check and balance. However, the fact remains that the public school needs to remain on of the elite in producing the quantity of students that is required of them. This means that the schools need equal resources, and not equal to each state but equal proportions of financial assistance to each school within a state.

No comments: