Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Class Reaction

I enjoyed tonight's discussion about questions the class had regarding Tyak and Cuban. I think it was a good idea to address particular subjects that may have not been discussed in the book or not discussed thoroughly. One of the questions I thought was interesting was the question of "Why are policy decisions seemingly made by non-educators and what can be done to change that?" It does seem that many of the important decisions regarding the school system are made by people who are removed entirely from the classroom or school setting. It doesn't seem right or fair that these people are elected to make such drastic and important decisions when they are not involved with the everyday problems and issues they are having to make decisions about. This emphasized how important it is as a society to elect credible people who would potentially make the important decisions based on the school system. Another question I found interesting was "What is necessary at the classroom level for successful Reform?" As a future teacher, I know I would want to be informed of any changes that are about to take place. I would also want to inform the parents of any changes to make them aware of what may happen in the near future at their child's school. I believe Tyak and Cuban make good points throughout their book but I am glad we addressed other issues that we noticed were lacking in the book.

1 comment:

NakiaPope said...

Not that I disagree, but Strike and Gutmann both address this point. It's the cost of living in a democracy. These same people make environmental law but don't have degrees in environmental science. There's a diffusion of power between experts and the people.