Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Class Reaction fo 4/21/2009

I feel that I need to address arts education more than I already have. I think it is important for me to explain myself in regards to my feelings on arts education. I agree with others that arts education can be a relief from the pressures of normal academic subjects. However, the arts can be academic to. I have found that I enjoy doing something much more when I understand how it works. When you know how something works you do it better and enjoy it more. I got the feeling that I interpreted the author’s view of arts education by stressing how the arts help in other academics. I do agree that arts education opens our minds to the possibilities in life and it is this reason why arts education is important. Not many people think this way though. It is important for arts education teachers to know these facts to keep funding for our programs. Arts education programs are always the ones that get threatened to get cut every year. They want us to provide a rationale for arts education but I don’t think that these programs would be around very long if we said “Arts education opens up the minds of our students to greater possibilities.” Legislators would not go for this. Even some people in our class thinks this is asinine. They think that normal academic subjects are the most important. Academic subjects are important but so are the arts. Arts educators are only protecting their programs when we tie our programs to other academic subjects. It is important for arts educators to understand all the benefits of our programs.

No comments: