Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Recent Transaction

I enjoyed our discussion last night in class. The discussion provided a nice overview that tied the course concepts together well. Afterwards, I came home and reread the blog I posted earlier, Art As Education, to see if I had captured what I meant to say the first “go around” but I didn’t. I should have written it after our discussion last night.
I think Green would have been pleased with our discussion. We were doing last night exactly what Greene spoke about in reference to reading response. We all brought our ideas to the table about her piece. I think before we pretty much all agreed “the arts” are important in education and I did as well, but the class’ discussion helped shed new light for me on why the arts are so important. The transactions that were made between each of us and the work were then relayed in a new type of transaction with each other and through this, my knowledge grew.
That is what education is about-growth, growth of knowledge of ourselves and the world around us.
Christin made a good point when she talked about the school she attended and how art had brought them together. The students in her school were all different but they shared a common interest. That just shows the universality of art and its ability to teach and to transcend.
I left the class last night warm-hearted with the idea Greene pointed out: Things can be different. We can be different. We each can make a difference in this world and I know we all will in the lives of our future students.

No comments: