Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How much reform do we need?

One of the discussion questions last night was something I had been wondering about myself. I believe it was Liz who asked, "Is meaningful, lasting reform possible given America's constantly changing visions of schooling?" While reading about the different ways in which schools have progressed and developed, I wondered how much reform do we really need in schools today? It seems as if we have had a pretty standard way of schooling today, for instance in high schools we go to different teachers for different subjects, separated by bells that tell us when to leave. This has been the case for as long as I've been alive, and I think it works...so what is the need for reform??

Little did I know that there were so many other options for schooling. I had always heard of magnet schools when I was little but didn't really know what they were or who actually went there. I think somone brought up the foreign language middle school in Charlotte (Smith Middle School?). My friend in high school went there and I remember thinking it was weird just because I had never heard anything like that before. I also had a friend in high school who went to governor's school after 9th grade. He lived in a dorm with the other students and attending classes sort of like college. What type of schooling is this?

Because there are so many options now, what will happen to public schools? Have they become so bad that parents don't want to send their kids there? Does anyone in the class want to teach in any of these other schools rather than in public schools?

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Yes I can agree I did not really understand the different types of schools that I heard of as a child: charter, magnet, and open enrollment, and until last night I didn't know how extensive the virtual schools are. I think it would serve the Education Deepartment to offer a certication of some sort. I would take it.There is a lot that goes into reforms and it comes from every corner! Democracy is what perpetuates constant changes, its the nature of it and some people will always want something else. It seems like that always caluses problems,Oh well. I agree we should sometimes stop and take a breath of air, its good for you. Our tax system as a whole could be restructured better if we could come together on national levels, we are supposed to be a nation not every state for themselves.