Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chapter 4 Issues

I really wish we would have discussed these chapters in class this evening, though the presentations were great. I enjoy this book the most out of all that we have read this semester and with the length of this evening's presentations realize that we probably won't get to discuss the end of the book next week. What I am trying to grasp, besides many things, is how in 2008, we still want to classify people in races and categories. We have three choices for the next president (which I realize will be two very soon): a black man, a white woman, and a white man. These are facts. But color doesn't make a person everything that they are. Trying to search for ethics here.... The thing that bothered me about the readings is this one quote from the Tim and Paul situation:
"The case was constructed to ensure that there were no relevant grounds for treating them differently (except possibly for race)." except possibly for race. I realize we live in the South and some people (of ALL races) still have a we-lost-the-Civil-War complex, but give me a break. I think that instilling two middle level reading groups would probably be the greatest solution. The groups may turn into "pairs", but if it for the betterment of the class...well isn't that our purpose as teachers, to provide the best possible education for students? I realize that NCLB makes rules and exceptions, but what excuses did teachers and administrators hide behind before NCLB?
In any class relationship, I feel I am torn between the Consequentialist and non-Consequentialist point of view. I feel like the promotion of the greatest good is in effect for the greatest number. I believe people's pasts build character and form them into the individuals they are. In the same respect, at what extent do we instill that the past is the past and people need to either get a psychologist and move on or take what they have learned and grow for the better? Racial discrimination is a blatant part of American history, but at what point can instead of discriminating, we incorporate? Of course every class will have there demographics, but I feel like at some point I would hope, with the candidates we have running for office, teachers, parents, and students would stop looking at things as a black-white-red-brown-yellow issue. I am sure I sound like a ridiculous optimist here. In every class I have taught, whether assisting ESL or regular class, I have been able to look at the students as students and as individuals where their upbringing only adds extra flavor and is not a detriment.

1 comment:

Angie Clark said...

I agree that one would think in this age of diversity people would, "Get over it!" It is unfortunate that people judge each other for superficial reasons that go even beyond color. I have been told by more than one person that I should practice speaking without an accent so that people would be able to appreciate my intelligence rather than assume I am uneducated. Obviously, these people are not from here. Discrimination is an unfortunate beast in any form, and I feel that as educators it is our duty to lead by example. The problem is often the ideals the students bring with them from their home lives and peer groups.