Monday, April 14, 2008

To teach or not to teach multiculturalism? That is the question.

As an often mistaken Native American (it's a joke guys:)) I feel the need to blog about the case of the Iroquois Confederation (chapter 5). I begin with the superintendent who seems to have good intentions but comes off incredibly ignorant especially when he uses phrases like "he seems to be some sort of chief" he also refers to Native Americans as Indians (I'm not sure if that is offensive; fyi it is offensive for East Indians (like me) to be called Native American), he also says that the chief didn't seem belligerent (why would he?) but for me the real kicker was when he said "we'd do something multicultural that discussed Iroquois culture..." as if this task was something to scratch off on his to do list.

When Marie researches about the Iroquois she finds conflicting information and has to choose whether or not to teach that material so that it shows a positive contribution from the Iroquois people. What should she do? For me the answer came on page 82 when it states the following: "Schools need not falsify or invent history in order to present a favorable view of every culture. Nor do they need to treat every aspect of every culture with approval." If they want to teach about the Iroquois people it has to be an honest reflection of it even though it kinda defeats the purpose of the chief wanting the subject taught. On page 78 it says "Trying to respect diversity raises questions of truth, and who is to control what is to count as true." I don't think Marie should be the person that controls the "truth".

The superintendent's ignorance is one thing but what I didn't understand was why they believe teaching their culture will impact how well the Iroquois students will do. And what about the other minorities in this high school whose culture or traditions aren't being highlighted as well? Should they also ask for changes in the curriculum? I don't know the answer to that but I totally disagree with the answer that the school board member had. She said that multiculturalism alienates minorities and that people should stop distinguishing their differences through their culture instead they should start thinking of themselves as Americans. I had issues with her view for two reasons and not because she doesn't want multiculturalism taught (its virtually impossible to teach all the cultures) but because her reasoning is that we should see ourselves as American when this is a country of immigrants therefore it encompasses a collaboration of cultures (right?). The second reason is that every time I go home (which is often) my mother reminds me that I'm Indian (as if I have forgotten) and I need to learn to combine the cultures and not become so westernized (even though there is nothing wrong with it;)).

2 comments:

David Wybenga said...

Interesting Ideas! Dr. Estabon did realize that there something needed to be done. Marie Carter should have talked directly with the delegation from the reservation to get their advice.

Lily Cornely said...

Dipti,
Its interesting to have read your blog right after I posted a blog on the same case. It seems we see eye to eye on this one!
Lily