Thursday, April 10, 2008

Consequences or Fairness?

Going into the reading and class on Tuesday night, I always thought I knew what was right and wrong and that it was a black and white matter. However, after reading, and especially after our class discussion, there was more grey area than I thought. In the case of Henry the basketball player, I immediately thought he should receive an F on the paper, and consequently would fail the course. At Clemson, we also had a strict plagiarism rule that we had to write on every test and assignment. After our class discussion about the consequentialist theory, I could understand some points of view as to why he should not automatically fail the class. What I still don’t agree with though is the fact that because of the consequences he would have under this theory, someone may allow him to pass the course or at least have another chance, while failing a student with the same grades and circumstances that would have different consequences. For me, I think all students should have the same opportunities to repeat an assignment, or lack of opportunities if that is what the teacher decides. I realize that it is a huge issue in universities with athletes because of all the repercussions there could be for the team, and potentially the university; I believe that they are students first and should be required to do the same work that other students are required to do. Very few athletes are able to go to the pros and make a living off of that. Therefore, it is our responsibility as teachers to prepare them for the future equally, just as we are preparing every other student in our classroom for their futures. I still don’t know that I know at this moment exactly how I would handle the situation, but I do know that I may side slightly more with the nonconsequentialist theory on this with respect to the fairness issue.

2 comments:

Angie Clark said...

After erasing what I have been trying to put into words for about the hundredth time, I agree that there is a huge gray area surrounding the ethics question. Is there a right and wrong? In the most simplistic form, yes I think there is. Unfortunately, there is also maybe the biggest, small word in the dictionary that changes all of that. The word is BUT, as in Henry should fail according to the guidelines, but...." The other biggie should also be mentioned- "What if?" I think Dr. Pope is right, we really do have a great capacity for creating problems for ourselves! WHY?! Yet, another good question!

joeeichel said...

In respect to fairness, whether a student is an athlete, star athlete or whatever, everyone is equal in the classroom. Outside of it may be a different matter in the eyes of many. I myself am a coach, but I am also an aspiring teacher. As a coach, I expect my players to be the role models of the school and that includes doing things right in the classroom, outside of school, and everywhere.
So if the star athlete is given a chance to fix a plagiarized paper, then shouldn't every student? Unfortunately in our society like you alluded to Katie, there is an immense amount of pressure to win. To keep their jobs, many coaches are willing to do whatever it takes to protect their athletes and get them out of trouble. In doing so they can continue to play the team can continue to win. If not, the team suffers and the university suffers because the wins are fewer. I don't agree with this even though I am a coach myself but it is reality. Back to fairness and consequences, you have to consider everything on a case-by-case situation. Questions like 'what are all the details surrounding the situation?' are applicable here. To end this, I will say "what goes for one goes for all" in terms of fairness.