Monday, April 21, 2008

This is a tough one!

My favorite part of the book that we are currently reading are the cases that each chapter presents. I like having a scenario based on the material that we are reading. It allows me to put myself in the shoes of others and see if my opinion tends to alter or stay the same. I like the case that talks about "A Christmas Quarrel." Since I grew up in a Christian school, I realize the signifigance of celebrating Christmas and what it represents to students as well as faculty. I think that a case involving religion is a serious and touchy subject. I understand the argument that they cannot accomodate everyone's needs for religion, but I think that it is also extremely hard to get rid of religion totally. I would suggest that they keep the religion and the celebration of Christmas out of their curriculum in order to support the "seperation of Church and state." If individuals feel that it is important to keep religion in schools then people can start private schools that are based on different religions. I also think that in order to maintain the excitement that a child has with any holiday of any religion, that they should not ban religious activities such as gift giving and parties. I would allow children to give gifts, but not make it a school sponsered function. I would also keep the tradition of having parties and dances, but eliminate the religious name attached to the event. I wonder which approach the students and their families favor and how they would react to my suggestions.

No comments: