Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Teacher and Student Freedom of Expression

Yesterday Lily, David and I presented teacher freedom of expression and Dawn and Audry presented student freedom of expression. While there are a different set of standards that apply to students versus teachers; the restrictions that are imposed on our First Amendment rights are concerning to say the least. While we attempted to answer exactly who should regulate what is appropriate expression and what is not, we weren't fully able to answer that because there is such an inconsistency statewide, countrywide and court rulings wise. In 2 of cases we covered the teacher who said she blew her horn for peace was fired, whereas the teacher who posted homophobic messages wasn't even reprimanded. What does this say? In the case of the Pledge of Allegiance covered by Dawn and Audry, is it really that big of a deal that the student didn't stand? And what about the Tinker case that both groups covered, again I ask is it really that big of a deal to wear an armband. No one would have noticed that they were wearing armbands if they had not been reprimanded.

How do we judge if our expression is out of line or within boundaries? Should we judge by the times? Couldn't we accept that we as individuals have opinions, thoughts and statements that should be expressed within reason (atleast in the company of the little ones;))? So with that my conclusion is that yes expression can be offensive but only if we allow it to be.

This is my class reaction....too bad for me that I didn't react to previous classes. Sorry if it sucks!

1 comment:

audrey gagel said...

I had some of the same questions as you, Dipti, when I was studying the student freedom of expression cases. If no one spoke up to "tattle" on individuals, then there would be know need for any of these cases. Or at least that's how I see it. In most of the cases, the students were not being unruly, in fact, compared to the scandals of society and pop culture today, not standing and being silent during the pledge seem to pale in comparison to other issues! I forgot to mention that even a decade ago, a teacher forced a young Jehovah's Witness to stand outside in the rain for 15 minutes because the student did not say the pledge for religious beliefs. I have got to say that is a blatant disregard for the student's well being, as well as a form of abuse! I really enjoyed studying these cases though because it gave light as to what I am in for as a teacher and what my students will and won't be allowed to do!