Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thoughts on Last class

The whole concept of learning the rules so we can all play the game is an interesting one to me, why do some people obviously decide to not play the game?  I know that I personally learned the rules of general society and decided that in my eyes, the game seemed to be 'rigged'  and since there was no way to fix that in my eyes I decided to stop playing the game, I know that there are some rules in society that I still follow but now that I gave up the 'game' I have enjoyed life more, that is controversial I know, but the socialization that I personally experienced at school was vicious and elitist, based entirely on social class/wealth, there were such distinct divisions between groups.  I had the eye opening perspective of the fringe and after realizing that I was making myself miserable trying to fit in to a set standard.  When I gave that up and just focused on making myself happy, I was better off.  The giving up required me to throw off some of the learned 'habits', things that were 'expected' or 'acceptable'.  When I finally did this, I was emotionally better but for the most part socially ostracized, many other people have more friends, but few have the type of close friendships that I have with my small group.   The ideas of 'habits' things that we do as routine, these are necessary to function but too many things in our life become habit, in my personal experiences (again) artists are expected to 'problem solve' or be 'creative' constantly, if we rely too much on certain 'habits' we are not creative and do not make any advances.  People need to think about what is 'habit' for them and consider if these 'habits' are the best way to do these things or are they simply the way that they have been doing them, all things should be rethought on occasion, habits can trap a person into a stagnant cycle.
I thought that the information on growth was interesting, how one goes about shaping their life by the choices that they make, it made me think about the poem by Robert Frost - The Road Less Taken, I'm sure that everyone has read that poem so I don't need to quote it but it alludes to the idea that all the decisions that you make affect the decisions that you make in the future.  I agree that this is true, your past experiences do affect the future choices that you make.  Teachers must make sure that their classrooms promote beneficial experiences for their students so that they have a positive effect on the students future choices.  I think that making sure that children utilize their problem solving as much as possible will be helpful to this, there should be very few things that become 'habit' in a classroom, they do not learn from such things, you learn and grow when you have to think, not when you operate on autopilot.

2 comments:

NakiaPope said...

One of the things Dewey is trying to do is get rid of the negative connotations of habit. Don't artists need habit? Isn't critical thinking and problem solving, questioning assumptions, a habit?

Excellent post.

Unknown said...

Dewey's idea of 'habit' seems close to Piaget's (I think that's the guy) idea of conditioning. We were talking in class about not exactly being a tabla rosa, but having experiences alter our views. To me, our habits are dependent on personal experiences, but we all play a part in the game whether we follow the rules or not.