Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ethics in Athletics

When reading "The Ethics of Teaching" I was thoroughly intrigued by the case scenarios that each chapter presented. In reading these cases I viewed the situations as if I were the one solving the problem. I realized that in addition to working with students, I will also be working with athletes. Some of these athletes will be vital to my success as a coach. In reading the opening case regarding Henry, the college basketball player who plagiarized, I put myself in the shoes of Cynthia. From the perspective of a teacher, Cynthia would need to abide by the rules of the school system and have Henry expelled. However, from my perspective as teacher and a coach the decision becomes one of much more difficulty. Part of me would want to give Henry the punishment that is required by the school system for breaking the rules, but the other part knows what an asset Henry is to the team and how much his life revolves around the sport of basketball. This is where the role of ethics comes into play. I know what is right and I know that Henry should be expelled, but the other side makes me wonder if no one found out then no harm no foul. Do I treat Henry the same way in which I would want to be treated? I find this difficult because in the case with Henry, basketball is his life and he has nothing else to work toward and a small chance of being successful in his future. If this were me, I wouldn't want to be expelled in this situation, so does that mean that I don't expel Henry? If I don't expel Henry is it simply for the reason that I should do unto others and I would have them do unto me?I think that it becomes an extremely hard situation when you have teachers who are also coaches. It almost allows the teacher to choose favorites and those favorites end up being their athletes. This is something that I'm sure I'll have to deal with in one way or another. I'm just not sure if I can make the right decision based on what is "ethical." Who defined what is right and what is wrong and gave us all these rules to go by? I agree that what Henry did is wrong, but why do the consequences have to be so harsh? Is it because the ethical standards are set so high and if you make a mistake then you are pretty much done? I personally think I could reprimand Henry and not report this to the principle and still be acting in an ethical way. Everyone has their own opinion about what is right and wrong, but in the end I think it comes down to how you feel about yourself at the end of the day and whether you think you make the right choices or not.

2 comments:

joeeichel said...

This is one of those situations in which I, having been a coach, would have a dilemma also. Granted, academics comes before athletics, that is my philospohy. Athletes who are given special treatment by teachers/coaches because they are a star tend to become spoiled. Regardless of his place on the team, he is a student like all the others. However, he did what he felt like he had to do based on his circumstances. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure Iwould not have done the same thing if I were in his situation. However, it has been impressed upon me all my life by my role models that cheating is wrong. As teachers/coaches we want to see all of our students succeed. The fact is this: if you let someone get away with cheating after they have been caught and no consequences arise, they are going to continue to do it and do it until they do have to face some consequences. As humans that is how we think. From a standpoint of ethics, Henry should be reported for plagiarism and receive an F in the course. A better alternative for him would be to ask the teacher for help and ask what he could do to make the grade he needs to make. From my experiences, most teachers are willing to help you if you ask for it. If I were his coach, I could not condone his actions as a student. It may hurt the team, but I have to do what is right in this situation. Even though I would fail him for cheating, I would certainly not turn my back on him.

NakiaPope said...

Excellent post, as it illustrates the thought process and complexities of the case.

I am curious, however, as both the poster and the respondent seem to differentiate between the "ethical" thing to do and what they would do do what they feel should be done. Why that distinction?