Thursday, April 17, 2008

Presentations

I thoroughly enjoyed all the presentations on Tuesday night. There were a few that were in the past and still are today very controversial issues. With Diana, Jose, and Kristan’s presentation, I do believe that how we present ourselves in the classroom with regards to appearance has an impact on how we will be treated as a teacher. I agree with their presentation in that while our views may become more liberal with respect to tattoos and piercings, we do have to respect the fact that many of the individuals we will be working with and interviewing with still have very conservative views on those issues. I believe that if you plan on wearing your nose ring, ten earrings, visible tattoos, etc. to the classroom, then you should wear it to the interview as well. We should present ourselves in a way that is respectful and true to how we will be in the classroom.

Jimmy and Kyle’s presentation regarding evolution vs. religion in the classroom was interesting to me. I could also relate a lot of what they were saying to the case we read on page 70 about teaching what is right and wrong. In the case discussed in the book, I agree that the teacher should be allowed to hold a voluntary discussion so that each group would be able to defend their beliefs. Coming from a very Christian community, we never really had these issues to such an extent in my Biology classes. All in all, I think there was something in each of the presentations to take into my future classroom. I found the fair use issue in Merrisa and Angie’s presentation very beneficial as to what is legal for us to use in the classroom. Also the cases that Lane and Rebecca discussed were interesting as to how we should present ourselves outside the classroom. You never know how what you did five years ago can come back into play with job prospects.

1 comment:

Mark Wilson said...

I agree Katie, these presentations are helpful because they either challenge or solidify what we beleive in as educators. Both are beneficial to educators, and for me, I find myself more aware of several issues. First, copyrighting has a lot of gray area as we discussed in class but I can see how the amount of copyrighted material presented to students can lead to stealing. A place we want no part of in education. Second, the beginning of evolution and the interference it caused with many traditionalists, the revolting on the streets and what not. We need to be sensitive to all beliefs being an educator because we all want to relay our point of view in a manner that speaks volumes. Last, being a professional in school brings up many questions as well. How will we present ourselves upon an interview with an interested school. Should we be dressed in Sunday's best even though that comes once a year for some of us? Or should we wear that the nose ring love. I think if someone has 20 nose rings they need to question the message they are presenting to students as a whole. However, I would not discriminate against them because that is who they are, plain and simple.