Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thoughts on last class

Here are some of my thoughts about the ethical questions that were brought up in class last week.
Plagarism is wrong and should be punished yes, but some students do not understand how they can quote, paraphrase, or cite works; they should have to learn, because I am disappointed by the fact that some schools are not providing adequate instruction on this.
In our own judicial system there are different levels/grades of punishment, and there is inequality in that system also based on whether or not a person can afford to buy their way out of the issue with a high priced lawyer or are given an underpaid and overworked public defender.  This is a serious issue because it teaches our children that fame and fortune can fix all problems.  This becomes a problem because they do not learn morals, they simply learn to desire wealth.  I do believe in punishments and rewards, our current system does little to promote this system but hopefully we as teachers can do something to reintroduce this system into our classrooms.
The situations posed in the book also brought to mind a personal story that I would like to pose to everyone, there were two children that I babysat for in my teens, they were so unruly and aggressive that I decided not to babysit anymore after sitting for them (they also made me not want kids of my own for over a decade).  Their mother became principal of a local middle school and I heard that she was exerting pressure on her children's teachers to pass them on to the next grade, this seems seriously unethical behavior, would you not agree?

No comments: