Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Consequentialist Versus Nonconsequentialist

Emilie Barnes wrote, "Yesterday is gone and tomorrow hasn't come. All we have is today." Then she wrote that she is always looking forward to tomorrow and that she was still learning to live for today. Since she has survived serious cancer treatments, her words are especially meaningful.
After class last week, I received a check in the mail for a construction job that I already had been paid. I did think of consequences. "The money would look good in my bank account." I did think of principles and fairness. "It wasn't fair to pay double." Principles are important.

2 comments:

Diana S said...

David,
You say it wasn't fair to pay double, but there's the rub, isn't it? Fairness doesn't enter into ethical decisions. So what did you do? -Diana

Unknown said...

That's funny, you didn't say what you decided to do. I kinda disagree with Diana's statement about ethics not being fair. I think that sometimes things are unethical because they are unfair.